Saturday, July 21, 2012

Odell Brewing Co. (Fort Collins, CO)


Over the past couple of years, Odell has become my favorite brewery in Colorado.  I first tried their beer (IPA, Saboteur, Woodcut #4) in 2010 when Capone's hosted Odell's first East Coast event...I've been hooked ever since! 

As soon as we arrived at the brewery, we grabbed an outdoor table and ordered some flights.  I went with the Co-Pilot Tray which contained the following beers:

- Harmonium (golden/ blonde ale)
- Double Pilsner
- Leprechaun Flute (pale ale, "hop-backed session beer")
- Locale Belgian Saison
- Myrcenary Double IPA (my highlight of the flight)
- Hiverano American Wild Ale


After enjoying the tasty flight I ordered a large glass of Wooden Owl, which was probably my favorite beer of the day.  Wooden Owl is an oak-aged double pilsner.  The brewery's website explains, "2nd use toasted oak barrels once filled with an IPA pilot beer.  The IPA was then emptied and Double Pilsner went in right after capturing a little bit of the fruity flavors the IPA left behind. This beer has a unique and refreshing flavor with nice vanilla oak hints."  I usually like my pilsners to be as simple and pure as possible but this beer blew me away!  The barrel aging worked wonders on this delicious brew.  Capturing lots of oak and hop character, Wooden Owl managed to be complexly balanced, smooth and extremely drinkable. 

I couldn't complete a visit to the Odell Brewery without having a pint of their standard IPA at its freshest.  I've had this excellent IPA a bunch of times in bottle, but this was my first time on tap.  A mouthful of juicy hops bursting with waves of sweet, refreshing citrus continued with every sip and gulp until the sudsy bottom of the glass.  Such a perfect way to finish up our day at this awesome brewery!!  Hope to see you again soon, Odell.     

http://odellbrewing.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment