Friday, August 3, 2012

Sour Saturday @ City Tap House


Sour beer paired with Philly summer weather is a perfect combination!  City Tap House's idea to have Sour Saturday at the end of July was a terrific idea!  I love Saturday afternoon beer events because you never know where the rest of the day will take you. From my first glass until the end of the free outdoor Sun Ra Arkestra concert at 40th & Walnut, there were more than plenty of good times in between.

When I arrived at City Tap House, I grabbed my complimentary Sour Saturday tasting glass and took a seat at the middle of the bar.  The beer menu was divided into 4 sections: Tart Sours, Funk Sours, Fruit Sours, and Aged/ Blended Sours.  I drank from all categories (I think I tried almost everything offered) but the overall selections I enjoyed most came from the Aged/ Blended listings.  It's hard not to love multiple tastings of Russian River Consecration and Rodenbach Grand Cru.  Although, my favorite beer of the day was possibly Cabinet Artisanal Marry Me in Goslar - brewed with coriander, Himalayan pink salt and Brettanomyces.  The refreshing salty tartness was just absolutely delicious!  Adding salt to a sour beer was a genius idea that really tied the flavors together, carefully bringing out some of the subtle undertones.  I would expect more breweries to explore and experiment with this technique in the near future.    

     
Here's a list of what I tried (almost in exact order):

-Bockor Cuvée Des Jacobins
-Nora Sour
-Freigeist Abraxxxas
-Cabinet Artisanal Marry Me in Goslar (x 2)
-Stillwater Premium
-Flying Dog Sour Cherry BerlinerWeisse
-McKenzie's La Fling
-Anderson Valley Featherleggy Bulrusher
-Russian River Consecration (x3)
-Vicaris Tripel Gueuze
-Echt Kriekenbier
-Mort Subite Kriek
-Free Will Napoleon Sour Saison
-Russian River/Sierra Nevada Brux
-Liefman's Goudenband
-Rodenbach Grand Cru
-Monk's Cafe Flemish Sour


City Tap House hosted an amazing event with Sour Saturday and I really hope it becomes an annual day to pucker up in West Philly!  Cheers!

http://www.citytaphouse.com/home

No comments:

Post a Comment