Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Allagash/ Port Brewing at The Bishop's Collar


I decided to stop at The Bishop's Collar to meet up with some friends on my way home last night.  I knew I only had time for one beer so I went with the Allagash Curieux aged in Booker's bourbon barrels.  Curieux is a bourbon barrel-aged tripel aged in Jim Beam barrels. This version was aged in Booker's barrels, which is the highest grade whiskey made by the Beam family.  I was really intrigued to try this since I love both Booker's and Curieux.  Booker's is an extremely strong whiskey and the bottle of it I have at home weighs it at a whopping 129.1 proof (Jim Beam is 80 proof).  I was concerned that this beer would be a boozy fire bomb but it was actually much more tame and drinkable than I had imagined.  One of my friends had a glass of regular Curieux which was great for a side-by-side comparison.  The Booker's barrel provided a an extra warming oak, bourbon edge that blended really well with the sweet maltiness of this Belgian-style brew.  Overall, a pretty delicious tripel! 

Also had a few tastes of Allagash Yakuza (dry-hopped tripel) and Port Hot Rocks (dark lager).  Hot Rocks is good, solid beer that I've had before.  This was my first time trying Yakuza and I thought it was great.  Really wish I had time to drink a full glass of it but I'm sure I'll see it around soon enough. 

No comments:

Post a Comment