Monday, June 4, 2012

The Keystone State Showcase at The Boilermaker



I finally made it over to The Boilermaker!  This is a really cool bar with a great, candle-lit atmosphere...possibly darker than Farmer's Cabinet.  I like dark rustic bars, especially ones like this and FC that constantly have incredibly solid draft lists.  The Keystone event featured 40 PA brews on tap.   I only had a few beers here (Old Forge Eleven black IPA, Free Will Napoleon farmhouse sour) but one particularly stood out from the rest.  Round Guys Berlinerweister - Weisterberliner was really something else!  As soon as the glass was placed on our table I could immediately smell the funk.  The dominating aroma of room-temperature Swiss cheese instantly filled the air.  Hmmm!  The taste was sour, tart, citrusy and cheesy with notes of lemon, wheat and....more cheese.  This description might put some people off, but I actually loved this beer.  It was different than any other Berliner I've tried and definitely the most unique beer I tasted over the weekend.  The Boilermaker has some great events lined up for the rest of Philly Beer Week and I will definitely be back in a few days.


From L to R: Round Guys Berlinerweister, Old Forge Eleven, Free Will Napoleon


http://roundguysbrewery.com/

http://www.theboilermakerbar.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment