Friday, June 8, 2012

Goose Island at Kite & Key


After quite a few days of running around during Beer Week, this event was a nice change of pace.  My family and I grabbed a table out front on the sidewalk and enjoyed a nice dinner together.  The rain held off and it was just a great night for an outdoor tasting.

Here are the two beers I had (descriptions from Goose Island website):

Lolita - Lolita is a pink rose colored Belgian style pale ale fermented with wild yeast and aged on raspberries in wine barrels. Aromas of fresh raspberries, bright jammy fruit flavors and crisp, refreshing body make Lolita ideal for beer drinkers fond of Belgian Framboise.

Sofie - Fermented with wild yeasts and aged in wine barrels with orange peel, Sofie is a tart, dry, sparkling ale. A subtle, spicy white pepper note, a hint of citrus from the orange peel and a creamy vanilla finish make Sofie an intriguing choice for Champagne drinkers and beer drinkers who are fond of Belgian Saisons.

I've had Lolita before but never on tap.  I like this beer but there's something about it that keeps me from really getting into it.  In a beer of this style I'd rather it be a bit more dry and sharp from the wine-barrel aging.  I was also hoping for a more noticeable funky undertone due to the wild yeast.  The tartness from the raspberry also seemed to get a bit washed out by some sort of cherry-like sweetness.  I still think Lolita is a good beer, just not one of my favorites from Goose Island.

Next, I ordered a Sofie (pictured above) and it proved to be the perfect choice.  This complex saison is a beer that I think would appeal to a wide range of people.  Easy to drink and lots of different flavors combine to compliment this Belgian-style brew.  Light and crisp with orange peel/ pith bite, moderate Belgian yeast funk, spicy notes, and dry oak character from the white wine barrel-aging.  Sofie is such a refreshing, quaffable brew for this time of year! 

While it would've been nice to have some Bourbon County Stout, it was really enjoyable to attend a Beer Week event that didn't have a mad rush for rarities.  Definitely a nice break from the crazy events earlier in the week.  Last night was just a laid back, relaxing time at a familiar place that I love to support.  Kite & Key is one of my favorite neighborhood bars that always has a great draft list, consistently solid menu, and cool events throughout the year.  I'm sure that I'll be back soon!            

[My friend, Rich, went to a Goose Island event earlier in the week that had some pretty special brews on tap.  Check out his thoughts here: http://richonbeer.blogspot.com/2012/06/philadelphia-beer-week-day-4-goose.html]

http://www.gooseisland.com/

http://www.thekiteandkey.com/ 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the link Josh!

    I agree with your thoughts on Kite & Key and their events this week have been great. Jim definitely took the low key approach as far as advertising but still brought in awesome beers. Their founders event on Tuesday was great yet sparsely attended in the beginning.

    ReplyDelete